We’ve been experimentally marketing Breaking San Francisco News, and have discovered many ways to attract local traffic to the site.
1. Since Breaking News City sites aggregate the best local Twitter feeds, the best viral marketing is through Twitter. So create a new Twitter account as the voice for Breaking SF News.
2. Find and follow the most interesting local Twitter feeds:
3. Follow their followers, most of them will also be local. For efficiency, use one of the mass follow tools you can find at Twitter Fan Wiki.
4. Retweet interesting local tweets and events. Make yourself the local “columnist”.
5. “Feature” local Twitterers. They will love it!
6. Feature live-tweets of local events.
7. Start conversations.
Our special coverage of San Francisco’s famous Bay to Breakers run gave BreakingSFNews.com a traffic spike and introduced Breaking SF News to the community of San Francisco (we’ve only been up for a couple of weeks…). Breaking SF News is the only real time site that aggregates all the Twitter commentary on Bay to Breakers.